Monday, June 18, 2012

260 in 2012 DEVOS - Day 121 - Romans 4: The Spiritual Credit Account

This chapter is otherwise known as “Justification by Faith” – a bit churchy sounding, but exactly what Paul is presenting. To be justified means to be declared righteous. In my first year as a new believer I was told to remember it this way – “just-if-I’d” never sinned. And 30 years later I’m passing it on to you! I’d also add that “credited” is an accounting term used of crediting someone’s account. To make us right with Him, God takes what Jesus did for me, deposits it in my account and can now declare me righteous. Not because I am righteous in and of myself, but because HE made me that way! WOW – this is great stuff!

“What then shall we say…?"
= What can we learn from Abraham’s experience? I believe at least 4 things:

First – Justification is a Gift & Cannot Be Earned by Works (1-8): If a person could earn their way to God, Abraham could brag. He was chosen by God, obeyed, trusted, etc… but God declared him right, not as anything due him (wage) but by His grace. WOW - Instead of sin being credited to my account, righteousness is! (Read Ephesians 2:8-9!)

Second – Justification is Not Based on Circumcision (9-12): Why? Because Abraham was justified BEFORE he was circumcised! Outward rituals don’t justify a person.

Third – Justification is Not Based on the Law (13-17): Why? Because Abraham was justified BEFORE the Law! You can’t live a good enough life for it!

Finally – Justification is by Faith Alone (18-25): Faith is connected with hope, divine perspective, doesn’t doubt, has power and gives God the credit!

SO WHAT?!
”He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.” This is GREAT news! Dare 2 Share puts it this way:

God created us to be with Him!
Our sin separates us from God!
Sin can never be removed by good deeds!
Paying the price for sin, Jesus died & rose again!
Everyone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life!
Life with Jesus starts now and lasts forever!

Do you believe it? I pray you’ll not only know Jesus but you’ll make Him known as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment