Monday, March 12, 2012

260 in 2012 DEVOS - Day 51 - Luke 7: Four Stories, One Theme

In today’s chapter we read some pretty amazing stuff! I believe each of these stories teach FAITH. We first read about the Centurion who exercises faith that Jesus can heal his dying servant by just the word of his mouth. Jesus then says, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.”
Then you have the Jesus interrupting a funeral for the son of a widow lady. He touches the coffin and tells him to get up! It says that the dead guy sits up & talks! Now, as much as I would have loved to heard what he said, it’s more intriguing to see their response: Praising God and spreading the news!
Next we have John the baptizer (that is what he did, he wasn’t “baptist” in the sense of denomination) wondering if Jesus is the promised one. This gives us another aspect of faith: sometimes we have doubts! Jesus assures John with His words of both comfort & evidence – and, just like John, our doubts too can be calmed by going to God’s Word.
Finally, a sinful woman, most likely an adulteress, interrupts a meal Jesus was having with the Pharisees. She falls down sobbing on Jesus feet and wiping the tears off with her hair. And, as usual, the religious peeps didn’t like it: “Doesn’t he know this is a nasty woman?!” And again, Jesus sets them straight by telling a story that makes them look bad – ha! He concludes by saying to her, “Your faith has saved you, go in peace.”
SO WHAT?
*So – where is your faith? I don’t mean the faith you exercise when you sit on a chair and trust it won’t break, or ride in a bus to school and trust you’ll get there safe (he, he). I’m talking about faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Why did Jesus tell the woman her sins are forgiven? Because she showed faith in Christ! The Bible says we’re all sinners (Rom 3:23) and ONLY JESUS can forgive sins! Have you ever, by God’s grace, believed this? If not, you can right now! Read John 1:12 ☺
*If you already HAVE faith in Jesus, how is it? I believe my son Drew has the gift of faith, He totally believes God can do anything (shouldn’t we all?). He loves trains and a few years ago he had a track that broke. Three times I attempted to super glue it and it just wouldn’t hold. So as I was telling him we’d just have to throw it away, he says to me, “Did you pray about it dad?” Sheepishly, as his youth pastor dad, I replied, “No, I sure haven’t.” So right there we prayed (him believing, and me…….. not so much) and off to the garage I went for the forth time to get the super glue…………….you know where this is going! That track never broke again and I am forever reminded that GOD CAN DO ANYTHING! Happy Faith Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment