Tuesday, March 6, 2012

260 in 2012 DEVOS - Day 47 - Luke 3: John the Baptizer Points Us to Jesus

Today we read in verse 3 that “the word of God came to John” and that he “preached a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.” In our “I’m ok, you’re ok” culture today, repentance is not very popular. In December, watched a Christmas cartoon made in the 60’s and they used the words “repent and make amends” – won’t find that in shows today!~ Add to that being called “snakes” was NOT a compliment. John had no time for “make believers” who wanted a baptism to save them from God’s punishment. “Produce fruit in keeping with repentance” were his words – i.e. he was getting at their heart! Specifically he told them to share with those in need, do your job with fairness and be content. John was not promoting that works save you – because they don’t - but rather that “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation” (see 2 Corinthians 7:10). It’s always a heart issue with God and JOHN’S HEART WAS RIGHT WITH GOD. It would have been easy as all the crowds came to him for him to want to take some credit. Instead, as people began to wonder if he was the Messiah, John quickly reminded them he was not…. ”one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie……He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” And again he warned them to get right with God! He didn’t hold back when it came to the Herod either, but rebuked his sin, not being worried about what it might cost him. We then see John baptize Jesus, the Holy Spirit comes upon Him and God tells Him before everyone, “You are my Son, whom I love; with You I am well pleased.” The chapter closes with a genealogy (if you’re looking to name your kid…). Whereas Matthew traces Jesus Jewish genealogy, Luke here traces Jesus’ genealogy back to Adam, being related to all humans, and this is certainly consistent with Luke’s picture of Jesus as Savior of all!
SO WHAT?!
*Is there anything you or I need to repent of? It’s best to keep short accounts with God! And oh how forgiving He is! (1 John 1:9)
*Baptism doesn’t save you, but God does command us to be baptized, to make a public profession of our faith. If you’ve never done that, talk to your pastor about it soon and take a stand for Jesus! I was baptized 6 months after I believed. It was Easter Sunday, 1983, and I remember letting my family and everyone else know I had surrendered my life to Jesus! It was Cool God Stuff that I’ll never forget!
*Finally, believing in and living for Jesus will no doubt cost you. It cost John his life. It has cost many believers in history. It’s cost me. And it will cost you. But it’s totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment