Friday, February 3, 2012

260 in 2012 DEVOS - Day 25 - Matthew 25: The King’s Second Coming – Part 2

Jesus continues with His answer to the disciples question in 24:3 by telling three parables that describe Readiness, Responsibility and Judgment.
1 – The Ten Virgins This Parable, like much of chapter 24, speaks of readiness. It is foolish to know Jesus is coming back and to not prepare. There were two phases to Jewish weddings. First you’d party at the bride’s home, then you’d take her to the grooms home to celebrate. I believe Jesus will take His bride (the church, believers) to heaven (rapture), then He will return with his bride at his second coming. It could also be that the virgins represent the professing Jewish believers on earth at His return, but I could be wrong.
2- The Talents: This Parable is about responsibility and faithfulness. God gives differently to each of us. This issue is not that someone else has been given more or less (5,2,1) – that happens all the time. The real issue is what are we doing with what God gives to each of us!
3 – The Sheep & The Goats: This Parable describes judgment upon those whom did not know Jesus! Remember chapter 22? How does a loving relationship with God show itself? By loving Him and loving people! We must show love to God’s people!
SO WHAT?!
*Are you ready for Jesus to come back today? Seriously, He could at any moment! Have you prepared? If Jesus were to come to you today and ask you if you’d rather stay here or go to be with Him, which would you choose? Jean, Drew, Jessica and everyone else – I love ya’, but I’m outta’ here! Just sayin’… I mean really, if heaven is as great as the Bible says it is, and if I’m planning my whole life to get there, I’m not going to be disappointed when the time comes! How about you?
*What has God given you? I think we often look more at what we haven’t been given. I’m a youth pastor who can’t play guitar, is terrible with drama, has less finances than those around him, can’t sport a nifty hair do and has never had the spiritual gift of cool! (Can you tell I can get bothered buy these things sometimes?!) But I have to remind myself that what I haven’t been given doesn’t matter! I’ll never have to answer to what I didn’t have. God DID make me an encourager, He DID make me real with students, He DID give me the ability to understand & apply the Bible and He DID give me a passion for students and for the lost! It’s these things I need to be faithful with. How about you? Why not take a few minutes and write down the things God has given you, tell Him thanks, and then ask Him to help you be more faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment