Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2012 PURSUIT D-Now Conference Summary...

This past weekend our students & leaders, along with students & leaders from 3 other churches, we're called to "FLEE & PURSUE!" Three times Chad Bailey challenged us from 1 Timothy 6:6-19. Verse 6 was the key, "But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness."
Since I'm not a fan of going from retreat to retreat or just being youth groupy/churchy, we gave students a chance on Sunday morning to share both what they learned and how they wanted to change. Here are some of the things they said:
- I am going to begin reading my Bible more, 15 minutes a day, 4 days a week
- I've been given so much and don't give much, so I am going to start to
- I need to be more consumed by God throughout the day instead of selfish desires & safety
- Stop hoarding the Good News God gave me and instead share it more
- I'm questioning more the things I pursue - should I be pursuing them?
- Spend 1 hour per day pursuing God and talking with Him
- I want to tell others what I earned this weekend
- Etc...
It was a GREAT time of student talk back and commitment and I was soooo encouraged to hear so many different and specific ways God worked!
For me, the question that haunted me all weekend long was: "IS GOD ENOUGH?!" Whenever I trust in anything but Him (money, talents, strength, etc...), I am saying (non-verbally) that He is not enough - Ouch!~ Lord I WANT You to be enough, You ARE Enough, help me to believe it and act like it!
Below are my notes, the italicized parts are what stood out to me.
BIG THANKS to all our host homes, the scholarships given, leader sacrifices made, etc... that made this impactful in student's lives! I am grateful for every moment I am privileged to serve and grow with students!
NOTES:
Friday Night: The PURSUIT of the things of God is worth abandoning every other pursuit!
• Warning Signs insult me (like feed the pigeons, lose a finger), BUT they have a purpose, serve as warnings, of things that could harm me.
• Do I NEED a warning at times? YES!!! Don’t let pride block me from a warning ☺
• Flee & Pursue are ACTIVE words, not passive.
• We are to FLEE from things that might harm us, ot simply to casually avoid them.
• Cannot run TO something without running FROM something else. (Matthew 6:24)
• We need warnings because we UNDERESTIMATE the destructive power of things/the enemy
• SO WHAT?!~
o Is there anything in my life that is causing me harm (spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally) that I need to begin to flee from?
o What will this take? When will I start?

Saturday Morning: God IS Enough!
• Fleeing from Comfort and Pursuing Contentment.
• If we use “stuff” to define ourselves, the we become dissatisfied with the basic nature of who God says we are.
• Example: Rich Young Ruler. Sad story of someone who didn’t believe Jesus was enough.
• It’s the Queen Mary ship example. We want to be on a cruise ship, BUT we need a battle ship, because a war has been declared on our souls!
• Being rich & chasing things is a mirage. We ARE rich and it’s not about us.
• We like to quote Philippians 4:13, but need to read verse 12 as well.
• Pursue God for who He IS not what He gives. Often times, when God blesses us, we run off with the gift and don’t appreciate the giver (who is by far more important). Matthew 16:15
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. – John Piper
• SO WHAT?!~
o How much do I depend on stuff to define myself?
o Do I truly believe Jesus IS Enough? How does it show in my life?
o Would satisfaction or entitlement most describe the feelings I have in my heart?


Saturday Night: We are spoiled with security!
• Fear causes us to do things that mess up our lives.
• Some things (sentimental) I’d never give away……but am I a Hoarder? (TV show)
• How can I live tomorrow without ________________? You fill in the blank.
How can I justify saving up for my tomorrow when there are so many needs I could help meet today?
• Luke 12:15-21…..take life easy? NO WAY! A person’s life does not consist in the abundance of their possessions!
• Do the things God lets us have own us or do we just manage them?
• 3 Things we can learn:
o Why trust something that cannot support you? (Ex: trust fall with tiny kid catching)
o God knows what we NEED tomorrow, we are spoiled with security) Exodus 16:4-5, 20
o Trusting God frees us to be generous!
• SO WHAT?!~
o What to do with the money/talents/resources God give us:
• Steward it.
• Don’t trust it.
• Give it.

DO SOMETHING NOW RESULTS:
As of last night, students gave…..
• $530 for 5 Goats (goal was 3)
• $300 for 3 Water Filters (goal was 2)
• $818 for Maddie Collins (goal was $1000)
WAY TO GO STUDENTS!
Thanks too for the work that was done at the Coker’s and at the Church!

You can view pics here on my facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment