Wednesday, October 31, 2012

260 in 2012 DEVOS - Day 218 - Intro & James 1: Trials, Trust, Temptation, Application

Introduction to James: This is the “How To” book on Christian living! It was written by James, the brother of Jesus, about AD 49. It’s about putting your faith into practice. Nearly every other verse contains a call to action! The big idea seems to be that genuine faith is constantly moving from the heart to the tongue to the feet. James 1: Trials, Trust, Temptation, Application Ok, so I couldn’t come up with a “T” word for putting God’s word into practice, so I flunk as a Baptist today – LOL!~ Regardless, these are the four topics of this chapter: TRIALS: (1-5) – Not sure about you, but I don’t really care for trials. My theory of “no pain, no pain” has always been my preference. But God says a lot of good about them here. First, our attitude is to welcome them with joy. Why? Because “the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” If we never went thru anything tough, we’d crumble at the smallest things. But as we develop perseverance, it helps us become “mature and complete.” And the ultimate prize is found in vs 12: “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” TRUST: (6-12) – The whole concept of faith involves trust. Trusting in what you cannot see. We read in Hebrews 11 that faith is “being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Doubt kills trust and from the beginning in the garden, Satan’s desire is to get God’s kids to doubt God’s Word! TEMPTATION: (13-18) – Wow does this describe how we get into sin or what?! I DESIRE things I shouldn’t, then I follow that desire and DO things I shouldn’t, and boom – I sin! And if it isn’t addressed, it will kill me! APPLICATION: (19-27) – I’ve always been told God gave me two ears and one mouth because I should listen twice as much as I speak. Good advice, and here very Biblical! Then James hits us with what I call “nike theology” – “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” Just Do It! SO WHAT?! *What are you going through right now that you need to trust God in? How is your attitude? I admit, it’s tough in the midst of things to have joy if we don’t look beyond them. Get with a friend today and pray together about these things. It’s always better to go through things with a friend than alone. And never forget GOD is ALWAYS there! *When and where do your greatest temptations occur? At night? When you’re alone? Away from home? Any combination of these can be detrimental! Share these with someone who will keep you accountable. Marcus Evans is my accountability partner. I used to talk or meet with him regularly (I just moved) and he also gets sent a copy from Covenant Eyes of everywhere I’ve been on my computer. Let me encourage you to do similar things! We NEED brothers & sisters who can truth with us in love! *How’s your “nike theology?” I don’t know about you, but I am far educated beyond my level of obedience. I mostly just need to obey what I already know in the Lord! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment