Thursday, April 26, 2012

260 in 2012 DEVOS - Day 84 - John 16: The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit is the 3rd Person of the Trinity. He is more than a “Force” to be with you, He is God who lives inside every believer. Twelve times in verses 7-15, “he” or “him” is used because the Holy Spirit is a person – not your conscious, not a force, but a person. What are some things he will do? “He will be our Advocate…….. He will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment….. He will guide us into all the truth….. He will not speak on his own…..He will speak only what he hears…..He will tell us what is yet to come…..He will glorify Jesus…..He will make know to us stuff from Jesus” And He doesn’t have far to go ‘cause He lives in us!!!

Next, Jesus explains He is leaving to His disciples and how eventually it will lead to joy. I can’t imagine having spent three years in intimacy with Jesus (GOD) only to hear He’s gonna’ leave – this must have been heartbreaking and Jesus knew that. So He gives comfort, “A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.”

Jesus often spoke in parables & stories so that only those who truly wanted to seek Him would understand. BUT someday He will speak plainly & simply to us and we’ll get it – I am TOTALLY looking forward to that day because I’m usually one of the dense ones whom Jesus has to clearly explain things to!

Then Jesus ends with this, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

SO WHAT?!
*Ever called the Holy Spirit an “it”? Yeah, me too. We must remember HE is a REAL person who REALLY lives inside every believer! So next time you feel outnumbered, under educated or unqualified, remember God is in you and one plus God is always a majority!

*Right now, if you’re a believer, Jesus is getting a room in heaven ready for you and me. Until then, he wants us to, by His Holy Spirit’s strength, live a fruitful & meaningful life for Him! Take some time today and write down what your weekly schedule looks like and then ask: “Lord, how can I organize my life so You can spend my time, talents and treasure for You, not me?” (Thanks D-Gray for this one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment