Friday, June 25, 2010

Philippians 3 DEVO: The Best Prize Ever!

Chapter 3:
In this chapter, Paul gives warning, his personal example and shares his heart.
Paul called Judaizers (Jews who insisted on circumcision) “dogs” – a term used to describe Gentiles. So……...ummmm…………this was not a complement! He goes on to say that if you want to take confidence in fleshy stuff, man I gotcha’ beat: “…circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.” No one could contend with Paul in a battle of “religious accomplishments.” So – what does Paul call all these so called “accomplishments”? Rubbish – and ya’ want to know what this word means? Dung! Crap! Get the picture?!
Knowing Jesus & Making Him Known (this would be a great purpose statement for a student ministry ☺) is far more valuable: “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ…”
Because this is a process, Paul continues: “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me…..Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
– BEST PRIZE EVER!
Paul concludes by sharing his heart for the lost: “For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.” Paul’s heart was broken for those who would not believe.
SO WHAT?!
*So, what trophies have you won? What awards hang on your wall? What is to your profit? Oh Lord help us today to lay them all aside in comparison to our relationship with YOU! Give us daily the passion & desire to Know You & make You Known! Amen.
*What bums us out? Things not going our way? A dent in the car? Not getting something we want? How about our family, friends & neighbors not knowing Jesus and on their way to hell? As horrible as it sounds, it’s true. Lord may THIS break our heart the most – so much so that we will share Jesus with whomever we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment