Monday, June 7, 2010

20 Years of Student Ministry in Katy, Texas (June 7, 1990 – June 7, 2010)

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. – 1 Timothy 1:12-15

Ok, so It really doesn’t seem that long ago that I graduated from CCU, packed up a budget rental van with all my stuff (I could have still seat 6) and headed to a small suburb just west of Houston called Katy. WOWSA - It has been the ride of my life!
God didn’t waste much time letting me know I needed help and within a month I began to date the girl I’ve been married to for almost 19 years! Jean – you are my girlfriend, my best friend, my lover, my partner in ministry, my first ministry and tons more – I totally love you and owe you big-time! Drew & Jessica – you both ROCK, crack me up and are my favorite two students in the whole world!
I have been extremely privileged to have worked with some of the best people in the world – pastors, youth workers, elders, deacons, fellow church members, all those who have served in student ministry with me and of course my heroes – each of the students I’ve been able to know!
A lot has changed in Katy since 1990 and yet much is still the same – students continue to need Jesus! I still feel like a rookie in this student ministry league and here are some of the things I’ve learned:
- Love your spouse & family first: If I fail here, I fail.
- Envision the potential of each student: Don’t pull out your adult calculator and tell them something can’t be done. Encourage them to go for it!
- Keep pointing people to JESUS – He is the one who is great, not me.
- If you have a guys night out at a hockey game, be sure it’s not Hooters night.
- Go to the BIBLE for everything. And if you don’t know, don’t snow – just tell ‘em and then find the answer together.
- Character trumps messages every time: Most of us can’t name the top 3 messages we’ve heard but are quick to name the top 3 people who have influenced us.
- Planting your youth professor as a bum at a roadside park, giving him money & a ride and then having him show up at retreat to introduce him as our speaker for the weekend is THE BOMB!
- Be a cheerleader for the outcasts: God is! Students who don’t fit in anywhere else should be welcomed in church & in student ministry!
- Dressing a youth leader in drag will always get you a special meeting with your pastor.
- Be a lifer in student ministry – long-haul benefits are huge for Jesus & students! Trust, stability, etc..
- If you’re gonna’ pass out “safe sex condoms” it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission, and yes, plan on another special meeting with your pastor.
- A cheerful heart is good medicine! Life is too short to be a grumpy poop!
- Remember who we are: I’m not Jesus (you knew that), I’m not a student’s parent (by the way, still their #1 influence), I’m a “significant other” – But BE significant!
- Only two things in life last forever – the souls of men & women and God & His Word. Spend your life in these two!
- Don’t just play with students – my games can’t compete with the Amazing Race, Survivor, etc… So – play games but give them God & His Word because our world can’t compete with these!
- Thief in the Night is still a good flick to literally “scare the hell out of students.”
- Laugh at yourself - “It seemed like a good idea at the time” is almost my motto!
- Be thankful! Each day God gives me is another day I don’t deserve. I woke up this morning deserving punishment forever in hell for my sins but I get heaven instead because of Jesus – it’s a good day!
I could go on & on, but I’ll spare y’all!
LAST NIGHT I was surprised by some sneaky people (my CSI team is still investigating the details) who threw me a 20 year party! Someone also put big facial pics of me on paint stick and they were everywhere – hilarious & scary at the same time! Then they “toasted” me! Friends, family, pastors, youth workers, etc… -it was a small taste of what heaven will be like some day. It will also take me another 20 years to live up to what was said! Honestly, this was truly from God. I had been bumming the past couple weeks, having my own pity party (attended by only me), thinking dumb stuff and wondering if I had made any impact. So I prayed a selfish prayer that God would send some encouragement. Well, He did – and to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine……..to Him I give credit & thanks!
Here's a video of 20 years of group photos!

4 comments:

  1. Way Cool, Mr. Bill! So glad to have called you friend during those days at CCU! Brings tears to my eyes reading all that the Lord has been doing in you and through you the past 20 years. Bless you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have been there for the surprise. I loved watching the video and reading this post. What a testimony of faithfulness to the Lord and his word you have been these 20 years. Press on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Helena & Thanks Mikey!
    God is sooo Good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Mr. Bill! Character trumps messages always rings so true...and I hope I'm never a grumpy poop! :) Thank you for your unwavering service to Katy's kids...and to JESUS! -Amber B.

    ReplyDelete