Monday, August 29, 2011

Making Jesus Known Among 2 Elders...

Tonite I had the privilege of having Elder Maughon & Elder Yu (yes, my mormon friends) come by again and discuss Jesus, God and the Bible. We've had a couple of discussions before, but this one was different. I invited them in and was reminded by my daughter Jessica to offer them a drink. She obviously noticed the sweat rolling off them from their bike ride here. They GLADLY accepted (102 degrees) the Gatorade as we sat down.
A few weeks back they had given me a Book of Mormon to read, and I promised them I would. I told them I had read some, but I hadn't read the entire thing yet (but I will). They then asked if I had any questions. I told them I was reading in Alma 7 and came to verse 10 which describes Jesus being born in Jerusalem. They said yes. I then showed them where the Bible says he was born in Bethlehem. They looked to their cross references and directed us to Luke 2:4...which also said Bethlehem, to which they said, "hmmm." (I could tell people were praying at this point!) Then Elder Maughon proceeded to say how Alma was written long before, they would have known the region of Jerusalem but not "Bethlehem." To which I replied, what about the prophet Micah (5:2). He wrote years before as well and specifically mentioned Jesus coming from Bethlehem. And again there was a "hmmm..."
So then they asked what I thought of the book of Mormon. So I asked for some clarification of what I had read on mormon.org. "The Book of Mormon, the Bible, The Doctrines and The Pearl of Great Price are the guides you live by correct - all of which are on the same level of authority?" Yes they said. Then I asked about how to be saved, because mormon.org says its by faith in Jesus + works. They agreed. That's when I shared how Bible believing people differed and I shared the Gospel with them and how it is by grace thru faith we are saved, not works - Ephesians 2:8-9. They brought up James and his writings on works but I pointed out that Paul in Ephesians in dealing with salvation and James is dealing with sanctification, NOT salvation. I think they had never heard that before!
We had some really open discussions, more open than I've ever had with the mormons I've shared with over the years AND they asked if they could come back again. We exchanged digits and then I asked one more question, one I ask myself all the time: "What if you're wrong?" If I'm wrong and you're right, then I may have enough works to get a shot at things, but I had better step it up! But if the Gospel I'm sharing with you is true, then you have to believe or face eternal consequences. They waited a minute and asked if next time they could share how the book of Mormon makes them feel.
Sure. Question avoided, but door open for more opportunities.
I like these two guys, we gave them another Gatorade and asked them (ok, so it wasn't my last question) how they usually get treated at doors. They were sooo grateful to not be blown off and ignored. Thanks Lord for this privilege. Please show them, and me, and everyone reading this, YOUR truth, and give faith to believe in YOU - The Way, The Truth and The Life!~
And thanks too for my daughter Jessica, who just loves people, has compassion on them and who sat around the corner listening to everything!~

4 comments:

  1. Yea God!!!! I will continue to pray for all of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Bill! How often do the lost come knocking on OUR doors? We've had some similar opportunities, and it's exciting to think of the eternal possibilities. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see your recent posts! I love reading them and had missed them. I wish I felt as equipped last night while facing a barrage of questions about creationism. On another note, we'll miss y'all this soccer season! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky - I don't know that I ever feel like I know enough either, but Jesus and I just always bring it back to Him. I too will miss soccer and all the gals! Tell Rueben I say hi :)

    ReplyDelete